New Raiders Coach & GM Kahler, Integrates The Academy Of Hockey To Build Elite Development Program
New Raiders Coach & GM Kahler, Integrates The Academy Of Hockey To Build Elite Hockey Development Program
The storied Wexford Raiders Jr A. franchise is excited to begin their 2nd year in the CPJHL!
To match that excitement, WE are thrilled to welcome former pro hockey player, coach, GM and 2x NCAA Champion Troy Kahler, as Head Coach & General Manager for 2019-2020 season. Coach Kahler brings a winning pedigree second to none dating back to his minor hockey days with the Newmarket Redmen AA & York Simcoe Express AAA to the Thornhill Islanders Metro Jr A & NCAA hockey with the University of Michigan & University of Maine where we won ' Back-to-Back National Championships' (1998 & 1999) with both schools. After attending a handful NHL main camps (New York Rangers, Buffalo Sabres & Florida Panthers) and playing a several years for semi-pro facilitates in the United States, Kahler found a home overseas in Dubai (United Arab Emirates) playing in the National Pro Hockey League (Emirates Hockey League) sanctioned by IIHF. Kahler again hit the mark where he achieved 2 Regular Season Titles & 4 EHL Cup Championships in 6 years as a player, head coach, GM and owner. The Raiders look forward to Kahler's global hockey experience and winning culture at the helm overseeing all aspects of the club from Recruiting/Scouting & Player Development to Day-to-Day Operations as Head Coach & General Manager.
The Scarborough Wexford Raiders Junior Hockey Club mission is to operate a program at is devoted to the development of young hockey players, both on and off the ice. Our 1st year in the league showed the success and progress we expected from our players and coaches losing in overtime losing in Game 3 of the Best of Three Games in the First Round of the CPJHL Playoffs.
Entering our 2nd season, we wanted to keep to our promise to the club mission of developing players both on and off the ice and giving them a platform for exposure to Tie r II Junior Leagues, the NCAA and pro hockey around the global. Today, we are proud to announce our exciting new partnership with The Academy Of Hockey run by Head & General Manager Troy Kahler and his fiance Francesca Ortepi. With The Academy Of Hockey (TAOH) on-board, WE firmly believe that our program will compete as one of the best hockey development programs in the world. While emphasis to on-ice skill development and off-ice fitness and conditioning builds the foundation for the program, OUR emphasis on in-class sports nutrition education, sport/life coaching seminars, team academic/fitness accountability and education program, promotion and exposure for the players and the club.
1) On-Ice Skill Development, Off-Ice Strength, Fitness & Conditioning + Our 'NEW' Elite Player Development Program. The regular on-ice skill development programs provides the MOST ice time of any Junior program. We are on the ice twice per week for two hours and we skate every game day morning. This equates to 8-10 hours per week. Nearly double the ice time of any other program in Junior hockey on either side of the boarder. Each day two hour on-ice development consists of one hour team practice + one hour individual skill development. Off-Ice, WE provide a strength, fitness & conditioning program second to none, customized individually to each player, taking into consideration on & off-ice OHL, NCAA & NHL Standardized Testing results throught the season, we customize player's programs around their strengths, weaknesses, hockey goals and ambitions. As Fitness & Nutrition Coaches, this program will be monitored by both Kahler and Ortepi post on-ice training for 2 hours, focusing on total body & core strengthening, maintenance and flexibility for hockey, plyometrics for explosiveness training, foot speed & agility workouts, overall peak conditioning with Iron Core Yoga for Hockey to top it all off.
2) 'Elite Player Development Program' - This season, The Wexford Raiders are also excited to offer an 'Elite Player Development Program' - For Players Looking To Take Their Game To The Next Level. This additional 'Elite Player Development Program' through our partners at The Academy Of Hockey, consists of high performance On-Ice & Off-Ice Training, Custom Player Sports Nutrition & Hydration Plans as well as, 1-ON-1 Hockey Sport/Life Coaching. Please Contact Coach Kahler For Details @ info@theacademyofhockey@.com | 905.955.3917.
3) In-Class Team Sport Education & Seminars - Sports Nutrition, Hydration & Hockey Team Life Coaching will be an essential part of the Raiders Program for the 2019-2020 season.
4) Analytics, Testing & Video Review - On-Ice & Off-Ice OHL, NCAA & NHL Standardized Testing will be done three times a year through The Academy Of Hockey (TAOH). Once in the beginning, once mid-Season and lastly at the end of the season. We record your speed, acceleration, agility, off-ice strength, coordination and overall body composition. WE also do video review twice weekly. This analytical review will happen once as a team going over the game as a whole and the systems that need to be improved. The second time will be a one-on-one between the coaching staff and our players, focusing on specific game elements to improve on.
5) Team Academic & Fitness Accountability Coaching – This season, we have created a new role filled by Francesca Ortepi as the Team Accountability Director. Ortepi will meet with players 1-on-1, once a month for 1 hour to get update reports from teachers as school, coaching and training staff within the team. These meetings are designed to enable guidance and direction players both on and off the ice. We will also have a team teacher who works with all of our players for 10 hours every week, monitors their progress and even works with them 1-on-1 when they are struggling. Our coaching staff and parents will receive a report on each player’s grades twice per month.
6) Promotion & Exposure - The hockey world is a close close-knit community and WE have many contacts across the NCAA, CIS, Tier II Junior leagues along with Pro Hockey organizations around the global. Coach Kahler has a wealth of hockey knowledge and playing inside a program like his dedicated day-in-and-day-out the individual player as well as team success will put any player further ahead in their development wearing the 'gold & blue' of the Raiders . Additionally, on our website, there is a button called “SCOUT RESOURCES” – here we include every player’s highlight videos, the team broadcasts, highlights, on & off-ice standardized testing results, education and hockey goals and ambitions. Finally, we also make the effort to directly send these “scout resources” to scouts of your ambition monthly. This way, scouts know who you are, and how you’ve developed through this program.
The Wexford Raiders Junior Hockey Club that last played out of the Scarborough Arena Gardens had over 60 players receive NCAA D1 scholarships, and crowds of 400 fans/game to come and enjoy the hockey! We expect to build on this. The Raiders pride themselves on having the right people, right connections, and right facilities for a committed hockey player to continue his career, whichever avenue he chooses.
The Wexford Raiders' goal is to help players develop, and get positions in higher levels of Junior hockey and education. The majority of our players have aspirations to play NCAA, or a form of Pro hockey, with some trying to progress to the NAHL, OJHL, OHL, or Europe.
Our club consists of players between the ages of 16 and 20 years of age. The organization will work with our players to define clear goals and objectives within the game itself, and for life as a whole. Only athletes with the highest of expectations of themselves will be considered for our Scarborough, Wexford Raiders' Junior Hockey Club.
The Wexford Raiders are currently taking applications for players for the 2019/20 season.
For more information, including how to become a Raider, Contact Us Directly:
Head Coach & General Manager
We look forward to a successful season playing out of the historic Scarborough Arena Gardens in Toronto.
Scarborough Wexford Raiders Jr. A Hockey Club Management